Pineal Body Function – What is the Pineal Gland?
Do you want to know what the pineal gland is? In this article, you will find out about the pineal body function and its importance. You will also discover the diseases arising due to malfunction, and how to take care of the pineal gland. Read on and improve your overall well-being with the power of the pineal gland.
The Pineal Gland is a tiny endocrine gland. The gland rests between the two hemispheres of the brain. And it sits in a groove where the two halves of the thalamus join. Its name is the pineal gland because of its resemblance to the pine cone. It plays a few vital physical functions for the well being of the human being. But the mental and spiritual benefits of the Pineal Gland are far-reaching and of utmost importance as well. Further, it is known as the real world secret behind the ancient Egyptian symbol. That is the all-powerful Third Eye of Horus. It is a divine symbol that bestows spiritual rebirth onto us.
Location of the Pineal Gland
The area of the much famous pineal gland is in itself a tricky affair. Tucked in the little groove where the two halves of the Thalamus coincide, the pineal gland rests in the epithalamus. The thalamus is the large mass of gray matter in the dorsal part of the brain. On the other hand, the epithalamus itself is near the center of the brain. And it is situated between the two hemispheres of the human brain. From a cross-sectional point of view, it is almost like the human brain houses and protects the pineal gland. It does so by placing it in such an excellently designed cranial cavity.
Endocrine System and the Pineal Body Function
Pineal glands were one of the last discovered members of the endocrine system. The endocrine system is a collection of glands that produce hormones that regulate the whole body function. These include metabolism, growth, tissue function, sexual function, sleep, mood and more. Along with pineal gland, pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal pancreas and ovaries/testicles make up this system. So the endocrine system and in extension the pineal gland is of utmost importance when it comes to daily well-being. Meaning it is crucial for the well-being of the body.
Basic Pineal Body Function
- The pineal gland is one of the most important endocrine glands. Further, it regulates other glands as well, such as pituitary and thyroid.
- The essential function of the pineal gland is to secrete melatonin. And that, in turn, impacts the central nervous systems greatly. Further, it regulates bone metabolism and protects against the adverse effects of osteoporosis. What’s more, it helps to modulate sleep patterns and adjusts the body clock functions.
- Pinoline is another compound which is essential to the human body. The pineal gland secretes and produces it as well.
- Moreover, the pineal gland also seems to regulate the pituitary gland. And that, in turn, helps to secrete more sex hormones, follicle stimulating hormones, and luteinizing hormones.
- The pineal gland helps in sexual maturation of a human being. Hence, it helps one realize their primary and secondary sexual features to their maximum potential.
- The pineal gland also influences the actions of drugs such as cocaine and Prozac.
- Pineal gland works in tandem with hypothalamus gland of the body. And that regulates thirst, hunger, and libido.
- Our ability to cope in times of stress comes from the melatonin and serotonin the pineal gland secretes.
- Exposed to light during the day, it enables for carrying out smoothly of all the physiological function. And when rested in complete darkness, produces the necessary Melatonin.
Importance of the Pineal Body Function
The pineal gland is of utmost importance. It directs and regulates a quite vital gland like the pituitary. What’s more, it secretes its hormones having far-reaching effects as well.
Scientists in a study have tampered with the pineal gland. They pointed out that both the density and quality of the produced melatonin fell below usual standards. Hence a severe degradation in the workings of pituitary glands was found. Moreover, they found different types of hormonal imbalances when the pineal gland was tampered with.
The pineal gland houses pinealocytes, interstitial cells, perivascular phagocyte, pineal neurons and peptidergic neurons like cells. Thus they combine and come together to facilitate neurological functions. These regulate the sleep cycles, mood variations, sexual functions, pressure and stress, and mental well-being.
Disorders of the Pineal Gland
Here are the disorders of the pineal gland arising due to reduced levels of melatonin in the body:
Chronic Stress and Poor Diet
These are possible disorders due to lowered levels of melatonin in the body. Patients having abnormal circadian cycles of cortisol (the stress hormone) often have these. In fact, low melatonin output further worsens depression and sexual dysfunction conditions. And, of course, these impact our quality of life. Milder mood change, like insomnia, also has a connection to the pineal gland.
Cysts of the pineal gland occur in around ten percent of people who undergo a CT or MRI scan. Scientists still do not know the cause of the of pineal cysts. In fact, most patients who have cysts of the pineal gland will not show any visible symptoms. However, very rarely such patients will undergo headaches and eye movement problems because of it. And in some cases, the cyst can result in emotional disorders, seizures, and sleep issues.
Tumors of the pineal gland are a more severe disorder. They represent around one percent of all brain tumors. About 17 types of tumors occur in the pineal gland area but most of them are benign. Most common pineal tumors are germ cell tumors, pineal cell tumors, and gliomas. Symptoms linked to pineal gland tumors are:
- Problems with memory recall
- Visual changes
Note that this list is incomplete. There are other disorders linked to a calcified gland.
How to Take Care of the Pineal Gland
A few simple ways to take care of your pineal gland is to follow these few simple rules:
- Exposure to Sunlight. Exposure to natural sunlight triggers the pineal gland to secrete higher levels of Serotonin. That, in turn, balances your mood and energy levels throughout the day.
- Sleeping in complete Darkness. However once the sun goes down, it is time for you to give rest to your pineal gland. You can do so by bathing it in total darkness. This helps it to produce Melatonin, the other vital hormone.
- Sun Gazing. Stare only for a few seconds into the early morning sun or the one about to go down. That is a great way to boost your pineal gland benefits. But you must do this correctly and carefully to avoid any hazards.
- Meditation. Meditative activities like Yoga help to maintain healthy pineal gland functions over time. And enhances pineal body function as well.
Natural Diet & Nutrition for a Healthy Pineal Gland and Pineal Body Function
Let’s take a look at some of the dietary options that will help improve your pineal body function. The primary goal of all these diet options is to rectify the calcification of the gland by taking the excess fluorides down.
- Tamarind fruit: It decreases levels of fluoride in the body and can reverse the effects of skeletal fluorosis.
- Borax: This might be a bit of an aggressive method. But including Borax in your diet is a right way of getting rid of fluorides.
- Cleanses: Subscribing to deep body cleansing, and opting for the right nutritional juices and drinks can do wonders for the calcification of the pineal gland.
To Wrap It Up
Is this post helping you to learn what is the pineal gland and the basic pineal body function? Do you now have a better idea of its basic functions and its importance? Will knowing the diseases arising due to malfunction help you to take care of your pineal gland? Did we help you learn how to take care of the Pineal Gland and the dietary options to improve it? Perhaps you know some other methods to enhance the pineal body function? In short, we want to hear from you! Please feel free to share all your thoughts in the comments part below. And do share this post with your friends on the social networks. Help them to learn the benefits of the pineal body function. And discover the diseases it may cause if not taken care of properly…
By the way, if you have not noticed… The last sentence was a perfect example of a metaphoric dangling carrot and a stick 😛
Creator of the Juicing For Your Manhood programs and the #1 men’s health blog Olivier Health tips main editor. He has developed a new passion for juicing and has done a lot of experiments with foods possessing healing properties. His mission is to teach men to reinvigorate their lives using the power of juicing.
If you like this post, I invite you to click on the red bell icon located in the lower right corner to receive notifications when I publish new articles.
If you have questions for me, you can subscribe to my newsletter and send me an email by replying to the newsletter that you will receive.